If you have a beauty routine, I’ll bet you’re familiar with cotton rounds. The ever-versatile little circles of softness that you can use to apply or remove
Did you ever pause to think how many of these one-time use cotton pads are being used in the world?
So many people. Over countless days. All these disposables being tossed into the trash bin after one use. Crazy!
The good thing is that cotton makeup pads are plastic-free! But the bad thing is that these reusable cotton pads are not going to biodegrade in a landfill, so we’re still contributing to the unnecessary use of resources with this one-use product.
Such an easy thing to avoid if we just switch to reusable cotton pads.
Reusable make-up pads are high-quality so if you rub a bit too hard, little pieces of lint won’t start pilling off or sticking to your eyelashes. And they’re made of a material that lasts so you don’t have to pile your trash can high with the disposable ones.
What to Use Cotton Pads For
When you have a jar of reusable cotton pads, you can use them for so many things!
- Remove makeup
- Apply toner
- Apply face lotion
- Remove nail polish (though keep separate ones for these as the nail polish color will be permanent)
Avoiding Conventional Cotton
Disposable cotton products are extremely wasteful because cotton is a DIRTY crop. Dirty as in growing cotton uses A LOT of pesticides (in fact, a disproportionate amount compared to other crops).
So, even if you ultimately decide to stick with one-use makeup remover pads, you can still at least try to switch to an organic version.
Better for the environment and better for
But obviously, best to invest in some reusables 🙂
Where to Buy Reusable Cotton Rounds Online
Here are some of the best products that I’ve found online:
- Reusable organic bamboo cotton rounds (set of 20); option for colorful or classic white
- If you have specific preferences for thickness, absorbency, color, or texture, check out this seller that offers 6 different organic fabrics for cotton rounds
- Reusable organic bamboo rounds (pack of 16) that are very comparable to the disposable ones you’re probably currently using
- These reusable organic cotton rounds are thick and plush (pack of 7), if you’re into that kind of soft feeling along your face (who isn’t?!). It’s also larger than your usual cotton round
How to DIY
I’m not the craftiest of people and I don’t own a sewing machine, but I hear these reusable cotton rounds are super easy to make!
- Obtain fabric from somewhere, perhaps an old flannel shirt or bedsheet
- Double-layer your fabric (so the side you want to show is on the top and bottom and the “inside parts” are facing each other when folded)
- Draw a circle shape on the fabric
- Cut out your circle
- Sew the two circles together
And voila, you have your reusable makeup remover pads 🙂
Let me know what you think!